Thursday, April 10, 2008

1/3 Life- Thing 15

There are tons and tons of online virtual games. I'd heard of Second Life in passing, but didn't really know all that much about it. There are soooo many online games that they all tend to jumble in my head. And to be honest, the more I found out about Second Life the more scared I got. It seems to me that these sorts of sites can slowly take over a person's life and render them socially awkward. (Or, in many of their cases, MORE socially awkward) I'm not saying that it looks terrible, it doesn't. However, it does pretty much sound like a simulation of the real world (with flying). In that case, doesn't it make more sense to simply LIVE your own life? I'm trying to look at it objectively, but at least in most online games there is a point/storyline/something. Second Life not only seems like a waste of time, it seems to be encouraging the exact opposite of what people should be doing. LIVING. A poor replacement isn't in my opinion 'fun,' its freaky weird.

No comments: